Friday, April 13, 2018

L is for More or Less:

Welcome to Day 12 of the A-Z challenge. This year I am reviewing podcasts. Day 12 is the letter L, and I will be reviewing More or Less: Behind the Statistics  from the BBC.


More or Less is a fun little podcast that takes statistics you hear in the news and either explains them or debunks them.  

Category: News and Politics. I'm increasingly frustrated by these categories! They really miss the boat so much of the time.

What's the time commitment here?
Episodes come available about twice a week, and they are usually less than 10 minutes long. There is also a longer episode that comes available about once a week for about half an hour.

My Review
There is really no way for me to explain how fun I find this podcast. Have you ever listened to someone on the news and thought that their statistics just sounded weird? Well, you can send that statistic to this website, and if you're lucky they will do a show where they figure out if the statistic was way off, or else explain to you what it meant. They walk you through their process, which often involves detective work. It is often humorous, although of course some statistics just don't lend themselves to humor.

You can listen to it here or wherever you listen to you podcasts.

7 comments:

  1. My husband reckons you can find a statistic to prove anything if you look hard enough! It sounds like a Mythbusters for Statistics - and in such small bites it would be quite fascinating.

    Leanne | www.crestingthehill.com.au
    L for Love Yourself

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s interesting. I have limited knowledge about podcasts but this I will have to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for a podcast. There are definitely so many numbers thrown around to support one position or another and I love the idea of doing a deeper dive to get at the truth. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so interesting. I think I might have to look into this one.

    Lose My Mind by The Wanted

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah at last a podcast I have listened to! I do enjoy this one, especially the insight it gives behind some of the facts that get distorted by politicians and the media.
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2018/04/13/l-is-for-lisbon-portugal/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lies. Damn lies. And statistics. Great subject for a podcast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't heard this pod-cast. Do like the idea of a series based on podcasts ...

    https://lonelycanopyblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/12/legend-of-bhangarh-fort/

    ReplyDelete