Monday, April 9, 2018

H Is for Happier With Gretchen Rubin

Welcome to Day 8 of the A-Z challenge. This year I am reviewing podcasts. Day 8 is the letter H, and I will be reviewing the podcast Happier with Gretchen Rubin.


Gretchen Rubin studies and writes about happiness, and on this podcast she and her sister Elizabeth Craft discuss tips to make your own life happier. Gretchen's research into what she calls The Four Tendencies has been life changing for me.  The Four Tendencies don't describe our whole personality, they describe a very important slice of our personality. Upholders, Obligers, Rebels and Questioners find their motivation to get things done from very different sources. These sources drastically effect our relationships with other people, and understanding ourselves and the ones we love can heal relationships and help us all to be our best selves. I wish I'd understood these things years ago.  

Category: Self-help

What's the time commitment here?
Episodes air twice a week. The main episode lasts about half an hour. The second episode is called "Little" and it is only 2 or three minutes long.

My Review:
This was one of the first podcasts I searched out, because I'm a fan of Gretchen Rubin. She really understands that some tips might work for me but not for you, and she very mindfully makes sure that her list of tips don't feel like she's saying "here's why you suck, and what you need to do about it." I leave her podcast feeling empowered and happier, and that, when you are talking about happiness and motivation, is actually a lot harder to do than it sounds. More than any podcast I plan to review this month, this one has the power to change your life for the better.

You can listen to it here, or wherever you listen to your podcasts. 

7 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of Gretchen Rubin too - I really enjoyed her Happiness Project book and I've recently been introduced to the 4 Tendencies - I'm definitely fit the Obliger descriptors!

    Leanne | www.crestingthehill.com.au
    H for Hang on to your Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I might look in to. It sounds like just the sort of thing I need!

    The Heart Never Lies by McFly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work.
    https://antoinettetrugliomartin.com/2018/04/08/h-is-for-hamburger/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the Happiness Project and loved it. I didn't read the Four Tendencies but have a friend who swears by it. I follow Gretchen on Facebook but have never checked out the podcast. I think I need to do that! Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic Melanie. Thank you for spreading goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm delighted I popped over and found your post today. I'll definitely be checking out this podcast, and I'll be back and reading your other reviews in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll check out this podcast - sounds great!

    ReplyDelete