I am awesome.
I must be. I'm writing this post, aren't I?
Frankly, it's been a while since I've thought of myself in terms of awesomeness. Which is as good a reason as any to spend a few minutes reminding myself what makes me special.
1. I swim twice a week. I started in October. I'll never forget the first time I swam freestyle for an entire half hour without stopping. Now I'm working on getting faster. I thought I'd get bored, but I was wrong. It's meditative, fun and in water.
2. I am in the process of healing my shoulder. You might not think that is awesome, but finally putting in the work to heal a shoulder that has been chronically injured for well over a decade brings me more satisfaction and pride in myself than I ever dreamed it would. It takes time. There are ups and downs. But several times a day my arm will do something it wasn't able to do before, and I get a jolt of pride. I did this! I am healing myself. My body has been so good to me, and I haven't been very kind to it over the years. But I am learning.
3. I have amazing friends. My husband has been out of town this week, and I have been so, so sick. No one knew how sick I was until Wednesday when I called the church to say my kids just weren't going to make it to their activities. My voice must have sounded like I was near death, because ever since then I've had a constant stream of calls from people begging to help me. Meals, rides...In fact, a dear friend just stopped by as I was writing this to hand me money, and a menu from a Chinese restaurant (with a delivery service). The menu had a little bow on it. I wish I could say that I deserve all this kindness. But really, it's just because somehow I've been blessed with awesome people in my life.
4. My family is awesome. My husband got home late last night, and we're back to our old schedule where he starts his day an hour before I start mine. Plus he took all the kids to school this morning so my day could be a little more relaxed. And my kids. They are amazing and good, and I'm proud of them. Again, I know that's not how I am awesome, but I must be doing something right if I'm surrounded by this much goodness, right?
5. I play the piano.
6. I am a writer, with one manuscript sitting on a publisher's desk as we speak. Keep your fingers crossed for me. AND I have another blog, which I share with some awesome women. If writing is your thing, you should check it out: The Prosers
7. I'm funny.
8. I remember my mom telling me once that I was too smart to be critical of other people. She told me that finding the good in people was sometimes a lot harder, and I should use my intelligence for that. I took her advice to heart, and found I have an intuitive knack for understanding why people act the way they do. So, I'm awesome because I see the good in people.
9. I am kind. I try to teach my kids that if anyone has a problem that makes them an easy target for a joke, the last thing they need is to be the target of a joke. I would never want to cause anyone else pain.
10. I'm awesome because I am capable of so much more than I thought I was as a teenager. I hope that in twenty years I'll be able to say that I'm awesome because I'm capable of so much more than I thought I was when I was forty.
31 Day Blog Challenge: