Wednesday, May 28, 2014

What's Up Wednesday; May 28, 2014


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly blog hop created by Jaime and Erin Funk, to help connect writers on this writing journey.  If you want to join the fun, you can sign up here.

For those of you who are new to WUW, here are the headings we are using:

WHAT I'M READING
WHAT I'M WRITING

WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW
WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO



WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO

I'm putting this first because it's so huge!!! Alchemy made it on the list of 50 Self Published Books Worth Reading! We're such unknown authors, I never thought it had a chance, but there it is...clocking in at #42, which is also the answer to the life, the universe and everything, so that seems fortuitous. I don't know if having a book on this list will change my life in any way...except that I'll be able to call myself an award winning author...but it couldn't hurt anything, right?

WHAT I'M READING:

 

I just finished reading These Broken Stars, and I loved it! It's the story of Lilac Laroux, the richest girl in the universe, and Tarver Merendsen, the soldier she ends up with on a lonely planet. I'm a huge fan of survival stories, and I'm a huge fan of romance, and this struck exactly  the right chord with my heart.

Next up--Scarlet. Yay!


WHAT I'M WRITING

I feel like I'm getting redundant in this category...I'm working on Pyromancy Part 1. Not as intensely though. We're nearly done. Last week I sent 2/3 of the book to my friend Jessica. She was Alchemy's biggest fan, so she gets the honor of letting us know if the story line of Pyromancy works. We're nervous about it. It was meant to be 1 book, not 2, but it was soooo long, and it split down the middle so nicely...it felt like it had a whole story arc, but now I'm second guessing myself. Still, we're lining up beta readers and hope to have Jessica's suggestions (whatever they may be) implemented by June 15. 

And on to Pyromancy Part 2.

WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW


This challenge. It's been raining pretty steadily in Maine lately, and life has been crazy hectic and more than a little discouraging. I found this challenge at exactly the right time in my life though, because, when I go to your blogs, I just soak in your enthusiasm and zest for life and for this writing journey. Oh yeah...this is supposed to be fun. It's such a good reminder. Thank you!

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations! :D That's great!

    These Broken Stars has a gorgeous cover - I really need to pick it up soon. :)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! That is fantastic! And 42, could you pick a better number?! Life the Universe and EVERYTHING! I think this means the Universe loves you...and your book. (in that order)

    Hope you have an amazing week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm about to start SCARLET, too! And for so long THESE BROKEN STARS sits on my tbr whislist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED These Broken Stars! Also, congrats on making the top 50! That's awesome! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on making the top 50 list! How exciting. I have THESE BROKEN STARS on my TBR list if, for no other reason, than the cover looks awesome. :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These Broken Stars sounds great- I'll have to put it on my TBR. Loved Scarlet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making the list is amazing! Congratulations to you! :D

    It's raining a lot in my part of England, too. I absolutely love it. So relaxing and inspiring.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on cracking into the top 50! That's pretty great. :-) I really liked THESE BROKEN STARS and SCARLET. Such great books, and both made me want to be a better writer, so that's always good. Hope you're having an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Melanie! Congrats on Alchemy's success! That's really exciting. Good luck with your new project!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on making the list! :) 42 is a great number!

    I've heard good things about THESE BROKEN STARS and the cover is gorgeous - I may have to pick it up at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, that's awesome about reaching #42, and your comment about it being the answer to the life, the universe and everything cracked me up (even though I have yet to read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy--I know, shame on me).

    I really enjoyed THESE BROKEN STARS and I cant' wait for the sequel. I see you're reading SCARLET next. You've got some good stuff in your TBR pile lately!

    So glad to hear that WUW has been inspiring to you! And don't second guess yourself too much on splitting your story into two. I'm sure if you thought it worked well that way readers will too! Have a lovely week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on getting the magical #42, Melanie! How exciting for you! Maybe your book holds the meaning of life, then... o_O

    If it makes you feel any better, it's also raining nonstop Down Under, so I feel your rain woes. Best of luck with work on your book, have a wonderful week!

    - Caitie

    ReplyDelete
  13. These Broken Stars is on my TBR list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh, I've been dying to read These Broken Stars!! And I LOVED Scarlet! Congrats on your book making the list--that's exciting!

    ReplyDelete