Friday, March 18, 2011

30 Day Blog Challenge--Day 21: A Talent I Possess

I have the ability to know and love people. I can feel the core of goodness most people use to make decisions. I've often thought of this as a liability.

Sometimes I've wanted to shout at myself when I've had a political discussion with someone and agreed with everything they said, and then turned and had a discussion with their opposition and agreed with what they were saying too! I intuitively respond to people's value systems instead of their political viewpoints, and I'm way too persuadable. How frustrating for the poor people who were just looking for a good debate.

And don't even get me started about how hard it is for me to say "No". (I'm working on it though. I've been substitute teaching this year. There isn't a job in the world that makes you say NO more often.)

I wouldn't trade those weaknesses though. Not now that I realize they are merely a subset of the "talent" that has probably brought me more happiness than any other. It's the same part of me that understands what people are really saying and helps me to empathize with them. It must be this quality that has helped me find such amazing friends.

I think it's this same talent that makes me a good writer. I know when a conversation feels real. I know when I know a character well enough to put them in a book. There aren't any shortcuts. It's a mess if I try to create a character and I don't know about his parents or what he ate for breakfast last Thursday.

2 comments:

  1. I think that understanding people and being able to empathize with them does make a person a good writer. After all we create characters who have different beliefs, different temperaments,and different characteristics than our own. We may not like what our characters do, but a part of us must understand the reasons why they behave a certain way.

    ReplyDelete