Thursday, April 26, 2018

W is for...um...well...

Comedy is a funny thing. I crave it; love it; I want it in my life. But it is pretty easy to get wrong, and that happened to the podcast I'd been planning to review for W. It was on my first list of podcasts! Other W podcasts got relegated to different letters so it could keep top slot (like T is for The Walk). It's there on my Top 10 list of favorite podcasts. But they messed up. Jokes about Jesus on the cross are not jokes that I find amusing, and I realized how often I'd been putting up with aspersions on Christianity by this podcast, because the rest of it was funny and they probably didn't mean it. And if I hadn't been about to recommend the podcast to the world, maybe I would have let it pass me again. I hope not, but I'll never know for sure. But I know for sure that I can't recommend it to you.

So I've found a different podcast for the letter W. I listened to it on my way to work and on my way home from work--and it knocked my socks off! It wasn't funny at all, but it was so inspiring. I can't yet tell you if all the episodes are this good, but so far I'm impressed.  It was Whitney Johnson interviewing Tom Peters (the author of the classic book In Search of Excellence).

The podcast is called Disrupt Yourself and it is hosted by Whitney Johnson. You can listen to it here or wherever you listen to podcasts.


There is an important lesson to be learned here. It's one I used to tell my kids, but it's time I applied it to my own life...You don't need to listen to garbage, even garbage that is keeping company with quality stuff. For every bit of "but it's really great except for this one part!" there are 50 other equally amazing things without the garbage out there, and all it takes is a little bit of effort.  Have you ever seen the meme about "It's great except this one part" that has a picture of a scoop of ice cream with a couple of bugs in it? Welcome Whitney Johnson...a spot just opened up on my playlist.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like good advice!

    Beth
    https://bethlapinsatozblog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I have no need to listen to further garbage. I've been seeing enough lately in the twitter zone.

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all get to that point when that one little thing isn't so little anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that it's really easy sometimes for a podcast to go wrong quickly. Glad you found a good replacement for your "W". Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete