Tuesday, April 10, 2018

I is for Invisibilia or Outside/In



Welcome to Day 9 of the A-Z challenge. This year I am reviewing podcasts. Day 9 is the letter I, and, well, you knew it had to happen at some point--I am not in love with any podcasts that have anything to do with the letter I. 


















However, as I searched, two podcasts, both produced by npr, kept popping up. I tried them both, and they taught me something important about myself: I enjoy podcasts when I feel connected with the people on the show. As a pretty social person leading a pretty solitary life atm, the conversational tone of a podcast feeds me every bit as much as the content. Both of these podcasts are journalistic in style, and that feels like an unbreachable wall for me. (Later on this month I plan to recommend some journalistic style podcasts, but I found both of them a long time ago, back when I wasn't so darn needy).

So even though I'm not keeping either of these podcasts in my feed, you might enjoy them. Give them a try!

Outside/In is hosted by Sam Evans-Brown. It uses stories and reporting to "bring the outdoors to you, wherever you are." 

Category: Natural Sciences

What's the time commitment here?
Not much. Episodes are uploaded twice a month, and each one is less than half an hour long. You can listen to Outside/In here, or wherever you listen to podcasts.

Invisibilia is Latin for 'invisible things', and this podcast talks about the invisible things that shape our behavior and control what we believe. Alex Spiegel and Hanna Rosin weave stories with journalism to explore the things we can't see that shape us.

Category: Science and Medicine

What's the time commitment here?
This show airs once a week for just under an hour. You can listen to Invisibilia here or wherever you listen to podcasts. 

Let me know if you listen to them and have good things to say!

7 comments:

  1. They both sound interesting - especially Invisibilia - all those unseen things that shape us has really grabbed me and I'm curious to know more.

    Leanne | www.crestingthehill.com.au
    I for If Opportunity….

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting that you are not a fan. I've never heard of Outside/In, but I listen to Invisibilia all the time. It's one of my favorites. While I don't love every episode, I've found some of them to be fascinating. My favorite episode so far was Flip the Script which talked about how police officers in Denmark are fighting Islamic radicalization in a unique way. I also liked the one on Reality which seems quite timely.

    I'm sure that's why there are so many podcasts out there. Everyone has different tastes! Looking forward to reading about which ones you profile next.

    Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice idea, a guide to good podcasts is useful as there are so many. Are the podcasts you feature available outside the US as well? I may have to do some searching to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both sound interesting. I think outside/in would be one I would enjoy.
    https://moondustwriter.com/2018/04/10/an-invisible-dragon-atozchallenge-children-dragons/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once I finish this challenge, I am coming back to your blog to explore podcasts as I have never indulged in them but am keen to now. All thanks to you for piquing my curiosity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had more time right now because Invisibilia sounds really interesting. I’d love to learn more about invisible things that shape our behavior and control what we believe. It sounds like a combination of psychology and sociology. I’m definitely going to listen to it after the challenge. I’m just too far behind now. I’m playing catch up as it is, but I’ve bookmarked your site and added you to scrivener and EVERNOTE so I won’t forget to come back and check out all your other recommended podcast that I missed before letter I. This is such a cool and unique theme. Glad I found you.
    Melissa @
    Sugar Crime Scene

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great overview of these podcasts, I'd never even know they existed otherwise!

    I guess at some point I'm going to have to start listening to them.

    @IsaLeeWolf
    A Bit to Read

    ReplyDelete