Saturday, May 19, 2018

Dear Hank and John: Why Don't You Come To Your Senses?

Dear Hank and John,

I am not accustomed to vehemently disagreeing with you when I listen to your podcast Dear Hank and John, but in episode 140: The Spoon in the Road you were shockingly wrong. Desperado is a great song. Do you ever have the experience of hearing lyrics that are so true and so poetic that they fit into your heart like a puzzle piece? There are words like that in Desperado. It's part of a duo of songs that describe depression to my heart in a way that is both frighteningly accurate and somehow comforting.

Unfortunately, I can't quote them here because you can't quote song lyrics on blogs without permission. But you can listen here--from 1:57 to 2:28.


That's truly magical stuff right there, and I can't believe you don't appreciate it. Now you said something about listening to the Eagles through your whole childhood, and I didn't discover them until my 20s. So I would think maybe that was why, except the next song in my duo of Magical Descriptions of Depression songs is one I've known as long as I can remember. It's by John Denver. Listen from the beginning until 0:35.


I listen to that song sometimes and wonder how someone who never met me could understand me better than anyone who has ever known me.

Even though I've known Rhymes and Reasons since I was a baby, I didn't discover its mystically powerful words until I was older, and so I wonder if the same thing might happen to you with Desperado if you listen to it with your grown-up ears. :)

As long as we're talking Eagle's lyrics, can we just talk about this incredible description of addiction? Less hopeful than the other two, but still powerful. Start at 3:35 and go to 4:20.


No name specific sign offs for someone named 
Melanie




3 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing when song lyrics connect so personally? That's probably why Dear Hank and John might feel differently about something you are so passionate about if they don't share the same connection with the song as you do. My Aunt was a big John Denver fan growing up. I hadn't thought about his music in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good song.

    My husband watches the Hank and John youtube videos occasionally. I tend to direct my time toward other things. They are interesting to watch sometimes, though.

    Final thought: you can't quote lyrics on blog posts without permission? But you can quote essays and papers, etc when you are writing a paper for school, correct? Or maybe writing for school is different? I feel like as long as you give credit, quoting a line or two won't get you into trouble. I'd love to know where you read that quoting a song is problematic. Because if it actually is, I want to make sure I don't do it!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Desperado and teaching me something new!

    With Love,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm appreciate your writing skill. Please keep on working hard. Thanks for sharing.
    clipping path service

    ReplyDelete