Thursday, April 7, 2011

30 Day Blog Challenge--Day 28: What's Next?

OK, I admit it. I made this one up. The 30 Day List included several topics that didn't interest me at all. I did a few of them anyway, and oddly enough, some of those have turned into my most popular posts. Life can be strange, indeed.

But I've been making a list of books to read for the Once Upon A Time Challenge, and I thought you might be interested. I have several back-up choices if these books aren't as good as they sound, so I reserve the right to change my mind.

Here's a challenge for you. I just talked myself out of my mythology choice and need a new one. I think I've read almost everything good there is to read in the "Novels Based on Mythology" section. Can you help me find one?

The hardest part of the challenge so far has been deciding what I think the differences between folklore, mythology and fairy tales are. To me, mythology would be the stories people use to describe great events--creation and disaster stories, gods and the stories that surround them. Fairy tales are the stories with magic. But I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how folktales differ from the other two. Folk tales are the tales of a culture passed down orally through stories. Yikes. It's not so much a line between the categories as a gray blur, but I think I've got it figured out for the purposes of this challenge anyway.

My choices:

For Folktales: Something Arthurian. I've never read the Mists of Avalon or The Winter King, which suddenly seems like a gaping hole in my reading repertoire. Any opinions one way or the other would be lovely.

The Mists of AvalonThe Winter King (The Arthur Books #1)



















For fairy tales:
A Tale Dark and Grimm




Fantasy will be supremely easy. I can grab just about anything off my to-read pile:
City of Fallen Angels (Mortal Instruments, Book 4)Eyes Like Stars: Theatre Illuminata, Act I


















And of course:
A Midsummer Night's Dream (Wordsworth Classics)




1 comment:

  1. Mists of Avalon for sure. It's really interesting to see the whole Arthur thing through the eyes of a woman.


    clara

    ReplyDelete